If you have a group assignment in your course you will first need to define the groups in the People menu. You can create multiple sets of groups for different assignments. For example, if you have two group assignments in your course and want students to be organized into different groups for each, you would need to define two group sets. Again, this is done from the People menu. To create a group set:
- Click People in the left-hand menu.
- Click the Groups tab.
- Click +Group Set.
- Give the Group Set a name and decide how you would like groups to be created. You can create them yourself manually, Quercus can assign students randomly, or you can allow students to create their own groups.
- If you choose to create groups manually, select I’ll Create Groups Manually. Click Save.
- On the next screen you will see the student list. Click +Group to create a group shell. You might call this, “Group 1”. Repeat this process for each group you would like to create.
- Once group shells are created, simply drag and drop students into each group.
- Note that the program office may have pre-defined groups for your course. Check with a program staff member to confirm.
- For more information on Groups, see the Canvas Instructor Guide section on Groups
The UofT Advanced Group Tool makes group creation very easy.